We just enrolled the boys in school down here in Florida – and I quickly learned that they use the FRY set of words, instead of the Dolch. Thankfully it does not affect Greyson as he is in 3rd grade, but with Hudson in preschool – I have decided to switch our word list out and start working with him on his first 100 words.
It is important to remember that when you are starting to introduce preschoolers to these sight words that the pressure has to be very LOW and the enthusiasm and praise has to be very HIGH.
Do not make this stressful – or frustrating for them. Preschoolers do not have to know these, but I also believe that kids are sponges and when given the opportunity and atmosphere they can thrive academically. I start introducing them around 4 to 4.5 and have very low expectations on what they learn.
- Blends Flashcards / Resource Cards
- President Flashcards
- First grade sight words! *Flashcards*
- Animal Classification Cards
- Pre-Primer Sight Words – Flashcards
- Planet Flashcards / Solar System Fact Cards
FRY First 100 Sight Words:
How does this work?
It’s Easy. The file to download the FRY first 100 Flashcards is completely free, and found above (Click on the download now image). What makes these different from “normal” flashcards, is that they were created to fit on 4×6 photo paper. More specifically to be printed at your local photocopy and print center (like Wal-mart, CVS or online at Shutterfly)!
Making them 4×6 flashcards makes it SO MUCH EASIER. Seriously!
- There is no cutting for you
- You can print them in full color for super cheap
- They are all the same exact size
- You can get them in an hour or less
- Super affordable
- Higher quality than copy paper. Read- Less likely (not as easy) to tear / rip / destroy them
- They fit perfectly in the Iris Organizing Container
So what do I do now?
Download the FRY First 100 Flashcard file. It is a zipped file. Save the file to your computer and either:
- Directly upload the images to your preferred store, and then have the flashcards shipped to you, or you can pick them up directly at the store
- Save the images to a USB and take them to your local store (Like: Wal-Mart, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc) and print them yourself!