Living in a rural area, you have to “take what you got.” In this instance, we have very few stores that are less than 45 minutes away. You all know that I am a HUGE fan of Aldis, but they don’t have everything our family needs. So, my second store (and it is in town!) is Walmart. I have learned some pretty good ways to save more money shopping at Walmart, and I am going to share them with you, today!
How to Save More Money Shopping at Walmart:
It is a known fact that Walmart is a great place to save on all the things you need. From clothing to household goods, to groceries, you can find it all at Walmart, and usually for less than it costs anywhere else. This can sometimes be a double edged sword if you are not careful, but I will get into that in just a little bit.
Related Blog Posts:
Here’s how you can save more money shopping at Walmart:
- Make the most of that Price Match guarantee – Take time to be sure you’re getting the lowest price around and call out the Price Matches when you see them. Recently some stores have stopped allowing this. Before, going call to make sure that they will still accept price matches! Also, there are SO many blog posts around with amazing tips and tricks on how to do this, how to stay organized, and how to be successful with price matching. I suggest heading over to pintererest and searching for price matching tips, if you are new to the idea!
- Check for end cap sales – Walmart puts discounted items on the end cap displays. You can check here for big savings and discounted items. They also tend to have a whole isle that is dedicated to clearanced items. Always, go there first! You might have shampoo on your “list” and will be less likely to grab the discounted item if you see if after you have already put your regular shampoo into your cart!
- Use your coupons – You can stack coupons with the already-low prices of Walmart and save even more. Seriously! Coupons on NON-FOOD items is how we keep our weekly grocery at or below $100 a week for FOUR people! Check out how I do it here: Couponing – You’re doing it wrong
- Use the Walmart Savings Catcher app – This app scans local competitors for lower prices when you scan in your receipt. If they find a lower price, they give you the cash back. Some people have had amazing success with this. The more stores you have within the “Scan – able area, the more money you’ll save!
- Shop online and pick up in store – Walmart’s pick up center is really easy to use and there are often savings online that are not available in stores. So shop online and have it shipped to your local store. All you need to do is walk in and pick it up. You will not be taken by the unnecessary, “Ohhhhh… that looks awesome”, impulse buys! AND it will save you a ton of time.
- Use MyPoints and cash out for Walmart gift cards! If your grocery budget is super tight, and you just want a little breathing room, this is a great way to give that to you!
- Understand the markdown pricing system! At Walmart, when something ends in $0.07, it’s the original price. If it ends in $0.05, it’s a markdown price. If it ends in $0.01, that is the final price. So if something is marked down but still has a lot in stock, you can hold out for the better price if you check back again soon. Bonus Tip- Find an associate nearby, and ask them to check what day the markdown items will be marked further down. They should be able to easily find out for you. IF they tell you they cannot, smile, say thank you – then ask the next associate you see.
- Don’t Go! Not just buy online and pickup in the store, but seriously stop going. You should only be shopping once a week, if you are in the market to be saving as much money as possible. Impulse buys a a very real thing. And they can absolutely destroy a budget!
With these tips, you can save more money shopping at Walmart and even get money back each time you shop.