Scott and I have not listed our home for sale, and we actually have not even started talking about it. That being said, I know…I just do; that we will be selling our home in 2013. It could be in 10 months, or it could be in 23 days!
I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but we are “movers” we have moved 6 times in 5 years. It is not because we cannot make a decision and stick with it, rather it is because we never want to settle. We are constantly grateful for all that we have, but we are not content. We work hard, and want more for our family…so we work and move and upgrade our lives.
So knowing deep down that we are selling our house this year, I am officially (as of this morning) thinking about staging and prepping our home. The real-estate market is very saturated with homes for sale, and I want ours to stand out. I feel like I NEED to be ready when we get the green light to list. I do not want to wait weeks or months while it is prepped. So I am starting today, knowing full well we might not even talk about it for 10 months.
Step 1- Make a list. Walk around your home and make a list of Every.Single.Thing that needs to be tweaked before you list your home. This should take you a while. Really think hard about this… If this was not your home already, and you walked in the front door would you be inclined to purchase it? No? Why not? List those items!
Here is my list, it is long…
- Upgrade gold light
- Touch-up paint that Lola scratched off of the closet doors.
- Purge shoes in coat closet
- Remove coats from coat closet, so it looks less packed full
- Better accessories table
- Repaint and organize bonus closet
- Remove stains from utility sink (or replace)
- Remove changing table so the room looks more spacious
- Remove some stuffed animals
- de clutter
- ORGANIZE his and her closets!!
- Make it feel more relaxing / romantic with the use of accessories
- Add art
- Remove 80% of toys
- Hang mirror
- Purge unused piano music
- accessorize better
- Create a more clean and comfortable feel.
- Deep clean the carpets
- Create an easy and beautiful table setting / scape. (nothing too busy / over powering)
- Replace light fixture!
- stage hutch
Photo Inspiration- (though the cut grape fruit is a bit over the top)
- Remove everything but a few special items from countertops
- Clean out refrigerator
- remove everything from the exterior and top of the refrigerator
- Organize pantry’s
- Add some art
- Get new staging towels and candles
- Organize cabinet
- Deep clean carpets
- Hang mirror
- Finish drywall and complete the closet
- Holy moly take care of the paper clutter!
- stage futon with new pillows
- organize and purge closet mess
Guest Room #1
- Organize closet!
- Get lamps
- Replace curtains
Guest Room #2 (this is actually an unfinished storage room in the upstairs of our home)—Odd I know!
- If we have time, insulate and drywall the room
- Add carpet
- Stage as a guest bedroom
- Purge, purge again, and then purge three more times!
- Organize for function and space
Landscaping (Once it warms up enough)
- wash the exterior
- repaint the stair risers
- get my hands dirty and edge all of the flower beds
- trim trees
- Create a more defined play space around Greyson’s swing
- Create a appealing sitting area by the pool
- Cut septic pipes so they are not sticking out of the ground.
- re seed so the grass if fuller in the back
- Spray concrete so weeds do not come up.
so yeah, I told you our list was long. YIKES! Now do you see why I am starting now, instead of waiting? I have to be honest the thought of having a purged, spotless and immaculate home makes my heart sing…but I also know we live her and have a toddler. So I will do what I can, and keep you posted along the way.