I’ve mentioned previously that Scott and I took the Financial Peace University course through Dave Ramsey this past fall. Overall, there was a lot of good information but there was one piece of advice that I am claiming to be garbage / rubbish/ unrealistic / foolish.
During this course Dave says (many times) that you should not be concerned with your credit score. Ummmm what?!?
According to him you should be using cash for everything in your life – therefore you do not need to worry about having a good credit score – since you will never need to borrow money from a bank or own a credit card. The truth is – pretty much everybody that I know in this world will never be able to go to NYC, call a realtor and purchase a building with cash Like Dave Can. We will never have the amount of wealth he has, so for us common folk you / WE need to take care of our credit scores.
If you ever want to buy a home, go to college, or if you have an emergency and need to go to the bank for a loan ( I pray you don’t) but if you do, you NEED a good credit score not only so you can actually get approved for the loan but so your interest rate does not wipe yout out.
That is why I am talking to you about Credit Sesame today!
April is when I pull our FREE yearly credit report. It is easy for me to remember because I do it right around (if not on) tax day. I print out both mine and Scott’s credit reports to ensure there is nothing on there that is not legitimate.
- I make sure to go through every account, and check that nothing is marked late. *I am never late on my payments because I use the Soon-To-Be Debt Free Workbook!
- I make sure that all accounts on there are actually ours! *Nobody has tried to steal our identity.
- Credit Sesame even has Identity Theft Protection. I highly recommend it. I know first hand the hassle and even devastation of having someone steal your identity.
Now I know there are a whole array of companies out there that you can check your credit report through. Here are a few reasons why we choose credit sesame for ours.
- They say it is free, and it is. I really hate when a company says that they are offering a free trial, or a free service but you have to input your credit / bank card information. I almost always forget to cancel it, and I end up being charged for a service I do not need / want. Credit Sesame does not require any credit card info!
- They offer personalized savings advice
- As mentioned above, they have identity theft protection
So please, unless you have money beyond anything I could ever imagine make sure you get your credit score every.single.year! Check back soon – I will be doing a full post on how to get your credit report corrected when / if you do find inaccuracies!
*Disclaimer this is a sponsored post, all opinions are 100% my own!
If you are serious about taking control of your finances – and you want to really get out of debt, than make sure you grab this 40-page workbook – today!!