Over the years I have heard a lot of mothers talk about how their children are “just not into books.” Their little ones have absolutely no interest in sitting down at 10:30 in the morning and listening to them read. Or maybe their children struggle with sitting still, the books are just not capturing their attention…so they don’t read. However, we know how important it is for children to be surrounded by books, and to be read to everyday! Here are just a few important things to remember about reading to your child.
Up until a few weeks ago, I was not confident in what to suggest to other moms, when they asked me for advice. Greyson has always enjoyed story time, and thankfully he is a good “sitter” But a friend introduced me to UsBorne Books. I assumed they would be like every other book out there… just like going to the book store. Boy-oh-boy was I wrong!! They are incredible. They are the perfect combination of Fun – Educational – Interactive and they are all really engaging!
So now that I have the knowledge of these amazing books, I feel confident in sharing my suggestions on how to
Read with a child who struggles with sitting still.
Here are my top 5 tips for reading with active children:
- Read to them before nap time and bedtime. They are already in the mindset that they need to settle down and stay in one spot (their bed). This is the perfect time to have their full attention and really allow them to focus on the story
- Ready during their bath! They are contained. They might now be fully engaged with the story but they are hearing you read and associating books and fun.
- Are you in the car a lot? Instead of handing them a device play and audio book. Make sure you are also listening and that you casually ask questions about the story.
- What do you think about the second little pig.
- Do you think the big-bad-wolf will get in?
- Go to story time at your local library.
- Read books that are interactive! Reading stories that your child will find boring – is certainly no way to get them excited about curling up at 10:30 in the morning and listening to you read.
Here are some of our favorite UsBorne Books. Some are for Greyson, and some are for when Hudson gets a little bit older.
- Secrets of the seashore. These books actually involve a flashlight (or just hold up to a window) to reveal hidden images within the story. It is so awesome! They also have- Secrets of the:
- Greyson loved this Jigsaw book. and they just added an under the sea jigsaw book.
- Both Greyson and Hudson love these cards. (Well Hudson, loves to chew on them…) Greyson makes the animal noise and we have to guess the animal. I LOVE how sturdy they are…there is no way for Hudson to destroy them.
- We have been working through this whole Fairy Tale book at bedtime.
- This book might be my favorite of all the ones we have. Even though it is too old for Hudson, and too young for Greyson I just know it will be a HUGE hit when Hudson gets a little bit older. Even though it is young for Greyson, he really loves all the flaps, and puzzles!
- I also grabbed this box of 9 mini board books for Hudson. … Completely and totally adorable!
- Last but not least – Greyson has spent hours (YES! Hours!!) Going through this Step-By-Step book of images to draw. The step-by-step illustrations are perfect for younger kiddos. The images made up of simple shapes are PERFECT!! I take back what I said earlier, I think this one is my favorite! 🙂
I have at least 100 books on my wish list! It was so hard for me to pick out the few I did. Here are some links to specific style books:
Seriously, all of these books are amazing!!
Please let me know if you are also avid Usborne book readers! I’d love to know your favorites!!
**This is NOT a sponsored post. However, affiliate links may have been used.