Starting a blog was the turning point for my families financial situation. It did not happen immediately – but it happened for us a lot sooner than we thought it could!
Not too long ago it was a common belief that you needed to be blogging for years before you would see any income let alone a full-time income. That is no longer the case. I am proof! I have been actively blogging for just under 1.5 years – and am making more now than I ever was in my full-time *using my college degree* 9-5 job. I am doing it while staying at home with our two young boys – taking them to school, playdates, cooking meals, grocery shopping, and everything else that comes with being a stay at home mom. The difference is I have a second job that I LOVE and that is helping to get us out of debt!
Had I known these tips when I first started I would have been making a full-time income within he first year!
If I can do it, you can too — seriously YOU TOTALLY CAN!
The truth is, blogging is a lot of work. It is way more work than I ever thought it would be. It is early mornings, late nights, and time in-between. It is so much more than just posting online. The promotion of your posts will consume most of your time. However, it is also really rewarding- both financially and personally. If you are willing to devote your time, and work hard to learn as much as you possibly can – you should start your blog, today! It can absolutely be a very viable way to increase your income, pay down your debts, and get you out of that job you hate.
Starting a blog:
- Grab your URL (through bluehost)- Put some thought into this – though not so much thought that you waste a month trying to nail down the right name. You want something that is pretty open. Even if you plan on just sharing sewing templates, you want to give yourself some wiggle room for your future. So instead of SewingWithLindsay, I would lean towards CreatingWithLindsay. The second option keeps you open to recipes, crafts, DIY, etc!
- You will want to make sure that you name is also “free” on social media channels!
- Hosting- Now that you have your URL and have claimed it on social media – you need to get your hosting set up. Hands down I recommend Bluehost. They are incredible. Not only are they super inexpensive- their customer support is the best I have ever dealt with!! Go with bluehost. *Bonus- Getting setup on WordPress is included in your bluehost price!
- If you are hoping to blog full-time and make serious money, don’t waste your time on blogger. Get setup on WordPress.org from the very beginning!
- Buy your framework + theme- I have had a lot of different designs and themes throughout the years. I was never really happy until I bought the Genesis Framework, and picked a theme to go with it. (I am running the FUN theme)
- You want something that is clean! It can be “cute” without looking like the inside of a teenagers locker!
- I prefer Genesis because it is really easy to customize, almost every plugin will work with it, and it has a great support forum
- By doing a google search you can find some really great (free) themes that will work with the framework. DO NOT feel like you need to spend $100 on a custom theme, right away. Start making some money first!
- If you do not know how to customize something, google it!! Seriously, there is nothing you can think of that has not already been thought of – googled – and either a step-by-step or a video created about it.
- You can go to fiverr.com and have a custom logo and header created for your blog for $5.00 I have had a lot of work done there. Just make sure you are really clear with what you want- make sure you like the designers portfolio- and they offer revisions!
- Research – Research – Research!!! – If you want to start making money ASAP you need to learn as much as possible! Even after years of blogging I still purchase blogging books, listen to podcasts and periscopes (daily!) I have never and will never stop learning about how to make money blogging! Some of the best resources I have found and that I use are:
- Blog Post Toolkit– This $19.00 book with worksheets will make sure your posts are setup to make you cash starting with the first one!!! This is a must!
- Ruth Soukup’s Book “Blogging for Profit without selling your soul” Was as absolute game changer for me. PLUS she updates it frequently!
- Speaking of Ruth Soukup- Signup for her blogging newsletters! They are a great resource of information and encouragement. While you are at it signup to receive the USELETTER as well!
- Learn-To-Blog Hangout Videos. Watch them, take actionable notes and then watch them again! Also make sure you follow Crystal and Kelli!
- If you are not already on periscope get on – follow Gina Luker from theshabbycreekcotage.com – she does a Monday-Friday cast at 7:30 CST – such a ton of great information!!
- You need to have a solid newsletter ASAP – don’t waste time trying to figure out how to figure it out. Go right to the source: Kirsten from SweetTeaLLC.co She has all the information you need right in one awesome and beautiful blog!
- PINTEREST- Read articles, search for blogging information. However, don’t just read…. actually put what you read into action and you WILL make money! Good money!!
- Newsletter- I know I spoke about it just above this, but it is important enough for it to have it’s own spot on the list! Seriously, go to Kirsten at sweetteallc.co – I am currently in her E-Course and it is going to change so much for my blog!
- Promote- This will likely be the most time consuming. Once you post your keyword rich (Everything you need to know is in the Blog Post Tool Kit!) post you need to get it in peoples faces. I spent too much time crossing my fingers and hoping that people would come and read. Heck No! You share it on link-ups, bigger bloggers Facebook pages, Pinterest, anywhere you can get it – you do that! Become and stay organized – so you can make sure your older posts are being shared frequently, and not sitting there collecting dust.
I truly hope this post is an inspiration for you and not something you are scared of. Yes, blogging is a lot of work – but it is an incredible job, and there is room for everyone! I hope you jump in with both feet and STICK WITH IT. If you can get over the 6-month quitting phase you can succeed!!