Teaching your child how to read is a really scary concept – at least it is/was to me! The truth is, you absolutely can, teach your child to read! The easiest way for me to begin this journey with Greyson is to break down the components he needs know before we can even start thinking about solo reading. I have broken them down (below) and linked to the free printable resources that will help your child master each component – thus kick-starting their love of solo reading!
I should also mention- If your child has no interest in actually learning how to read just yet – give it time! Let them guide you – you’ll know when they are ready!
Concepts of Print
* Read, read and then read more to your child. They are NEVER too young to be read to!
Language and Listening Skills
* Have your child retell familiar stories. When you are reading pause to ask questions (What do you think will happen next? Why was that funny? Oh no! what should they have done instead, etc).
*Teach them the alphabet – Both uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Super-Simple Puzzle Upgrade
- Uppercase & Lowercase Letter Matching
- Find the Missing Letter
- Letter of the Week series
Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
*Count the number of words printed
*Beginning and Ending Sounds